Sunday, October 25, 2009

Random and Company.

Last rainy Thursday night I met a man named Random in front of a coffee shop at an Open Mike Night. He and I shared a conversation, and I got a business card from him. I learned that Random is homeless. He wears a gorgeous gray-white afro and a smiling mouth half-full of teeth.

Every man that walked by, he saluted them and said "good evening, Mr. President"...then he leaned over to me and said, "there's lots of unknown presidents wandering around."

His friend named Bob sat down on the bench parallel to me. He wore a highlighter green suit jacket and a purple button-up. Reaching into his bag, Bob pulls out a Barbie doll and a stuffed blue crayon. "Part of my act sometimes," he mumbled. Seconds later he held up a red tie, also hidden in his bag. "Too much?" he asks, leaning over to me, wondering if he should wear it. "Never," I said. "You're wearing that beautiful jacket, so anything after that is a home run." He nodded and fumbled the tie into submission around his neck.

More should be written about these people. I don't quite know what yet. But until then, I should finish my actual paper that is due tomorrow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

More should be written. You'll figure it out. Just got to get through school :D

Corissa Joy said...

awesome :D

Grace Halliday said...

love love love love love. so much.