Thursday, November 19, 2009

Body Parts Continued.

The world is on fire but
wait
it is cooled by the deep breaths
and inhalations of its people.
Inhale, exhale
till the rapid firing of neurons
heat up my cranial insides once more.
Hacksaw and peer inside.
Something is hiding but can
no longer and is on
display.
It doesn't want to play,
but it se cache behind
my frontal cortex
kicking the gray matter until
it behaves again.

I name body parts
so I treat them better.
Oh behave, Charlie,
Sally and Donna.
Don't be children.
Line up in a queue
like you're supposed to
you hear? There...
Names personalize objects and people
in a way that makes it frightening
the point when you realize
we are all fragility in a frame
walking around
hoping not to knock too hard
into furniture and sharp edges.
Internal bleeding is more
damaging than bleeding externally
bleeding
and it's much much harder to diagnose.

My hearing hasn't been what it once was lately.
I can't hear the wind that would come to tea
every Wednesday
and would knock on my window.
I would let him in
and we'd have a chat.
How are you doing and how's your mother
and he'd go his merry way to the neighbor's house next door.
But they weren't as polite to him as I was, so he'd always stay longer at my house.

There are people who hate their hands
because they are too knobby or skinny or fat
people who chew their nails out
of nervousness or habit.
Nuns aren't supposed to have any bad
habits yet they wear one
on their head every day.
I wonder if nuns wear lacy underwear
or if not, if they have ever wanted to.
Nuns are people, too.

I take a dear deep breath
cherishing the air that
relaxes the tight muscles
and rigidity knots
that govern and hold
where they aren't wanted.
It is possible to asphyxiate oneself
and I have almost done so
but on accident.
I have to remind myself to breathe.
Here goes.
Fluctuations
In and out
Up down
diaphragm lift
veiny currents shift and change and how
beautiful I feel them run
their course
coursing through arterial paths
and veins
and heart.

2 comments:

Corissa Joy said...

laura, i absolutely adore this. you bring profundity out of the most simple things, but not in a corny way, in a i-wish-i-thought-like-this kind of way. it's so beautiful. and it's funny that you mixed in french, because when we were at the reading today i was standing there for a good 5 or 10 minutes thinking about using french in poetry how grand it would be if i could be multi-lingual when i write. FANTASTIC!

Lauren O. said...

i like this :)