Monday, July 6, 2009

Hitch in my Get-along.


Today I am getting a dreadlock, courtesy of Joanna. Thanks, buddy. Moving on:

Hitchhiking between Eastsound and Doe Bay has provided some of the most amiable conversations I've had in awhile. Going into town today on my day off, I caught 4 rides to get where I needed to go. One ride into town, two handcrafted french truffles and an americano later, I was sitting in Darvill's bookstore and ran into a woman I had waited on yesterday. The two of us struck up a conversation, and she offered me a ride back to Obstruction Road at around 4 with her family and daughter-in-law-to-be. She introduced herself as Coralee.

An hour into reading Cat's Crade by Vonnegut--recommended by Miss Wise--I realized that I didn't want to wait for 3 hours, plus I had dairy product groceries in my backpack. I started walking in the sprinkling rain and was, three cars later, picked up. It took three rides total to get back to my digs, but the small periods of walking were great...green, lush, and damp. The last woman who picked me up, Judy, was a Mrs. Claus-like woman who had, in her life before retirement, ran a campground in Wisconsin. We got to talking about the history of Doe Bay Resort and the many owners and managers it has turned over.

Apparently, before it was owned, it was called "Solidarity" and was a commune where people gave up all earthly possessions. The followers would surround islanders' cars, convince them to come to dinner with them, and tell them the message of "Solidarity". Funny, huh?

I would love to write a book on hitchhiking conversations, I decided.

1 comment:

Corissa Joy said...

that is amazing! i want to hitchhike soo bad. doe bay was a commune HAHA i'm not surprised. wish we could have seen it in those days.