Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Last Night.

Last night I went to a party.
Last night I went to a party and smoked till my lungs told me to stop.
Last night I ate the best food I've had in awhile, including grilled oysters.
Last night my boss flirted with his girlfriend on the stoner couch in front of me.
Last night I drank Session.

Last night I watched people. I'm still watching them, and I don't know when I'll stop. There's this point I get to where I watch people so much that I forget that we're no longer the little kid who closes his eyes to make the world disappear. We're "adults"...almost.
On the whale watching cruise I took last afternoon, I was with three other co-workers, and we sat in the back of the boat, huddled up in blankets to ward off the ocean spray. I was sitting on the edge, with the head gardener, Heather, next to me. "You talk way too much," she told me.
Earlier in the trip, I had put sweat pants over my jean shorts and forgotten to tie them. When I stood up to see the whales, the sweats fell to my ankles...they all thought it was hysterical. And it was :) Whoops.
But it made me realize just how fascinating people are to me and how I really do love to check out what they do to each other, with each other, without each other. People need people. There was a family on the boat cruise who were one of the most touchy-feely families I've seen. The grandma sat the youngest girl with cornrows on her lap next to the mom. An uncle had his arm around his niece. The teenage boy even put his head on his mom's shoulder.
Did this family drink the Kool-Aid, or are we all missing out on something?
Individually we all have different ways of appreciating each other, but I thought that seeing this family so publicly enjoying each other's company was pretty cool.

2 comments:

Corissa Joy said...

sounds like fun man!! i miss you though. keep on having a kickass time.

Unknown said...

I love you. I love you because you haven't forgotten what it means to be wide eyed little kids who close our eyes and make the world disappear.