Monday, July 19, 2010

Defining the Day.

I'm doing well, my last week here in Oxford. I wrote this trying to figure out how I'm doing, so forgiveness if this may seem exploratory. Actually, no apologies. This is what was to be said. I wish formatting weren't such a bitch. Know there are intended indents. Oh well. Love to friends and family.

_______________________


Today was a grandfather sea turtle
an entire ocean
a whale
and some odd number of waves
let loose from my hand into the air
that breathed more freely because of it.

Today was a pile of sweet rotting leaves
bunches of number two pencils
of tape dispensers
hulls of sleeping bulbs.

Today I wrote something
that might have mattered,
said something must have mattered,
was someone who mattered. I was.

Do not measure too much, in coffee spoons
or by the downy brown hair on my forearm
that will eventually turn ash blond gray.

Today shocked like an electric socket, like Edison

no more dull slow burning glow.
the cleaning lady outpours old days down the stairs,
I watch her
head in hands
sitting on the top step.

1 comment:

nate said...

this is beautiful. the first three stanzas are vivid and rhythmic.